Search This Blog

Saturday, April 29, 2023

The 3 Primary Types Of Superheroes

 So, for a while I've been thinking about the different types of superheroes and what exactly qualifies a hero as "super", and I think I've figured out the three basic kinds of superhero that all superheroes are derivative from, think of these as kinda like genuses of the animal kingdom kinda, but for superheroes.


The first primary type we have is
This one is self explanatory and probably the first type of superhero one would think of when thinking about what a superhero is exactly.


The second primary type of superhero I've figured out is
Another one that's expected and self explanatory, most likely this is the second type of superhero one would think of after heroes with inherent abilities.


Now finally, the third primary type of superhero, and most likely the most controversial, and it's
Of course this is a bit of a hot button topic when it comes to superheroes and what one would consider to be a superhero.


Like most of the time when I get into conversations or arguments about what characters qualify as superheroes and bring up individuals who don't have any superpowers, but are pretty much superheroes due to their insane skill level and/or skill set, like Rambo, El Santo and the like one of the biggest arguments I see brought up against them being superheroes is that "they don't have superpowers/super qualities therefore they can't be considered "super" heroes", And personally I see advanced levels of skill as a super power, especially in a lot of fantastical fictional worlds were advanced skill basically equates to being superhuman.

Like I think of Batman for example, and people talking about how without his billions of dollars and various gadgets he would just be a crazy guy in a bat suit, when that is far from the truth, given how many times in the comics we've seen Batman deprived of his gadgets and wealth and how he still is able to operate as a superhero, even without these things, because of his hyper refined skill sets such as his immense knowledge, mastery of martial arts and hyper refined deductive reasoning skill.

I've even heard people argue that Batman isn't even a superhero because he doesn't have any superpowers and only uses gadgets, which is an entirely different argument/conversation but something I feel pertinent to mention because it shows how selective and discriminatory people can be with calling characters superheroes. 

Especially since using that same logic, Ironman is also not a superhero, neither is Warmachine, or Steel and so on cause all those characters need power armor which is a type of gadget, or hell using that same argument one could say Ben 10 isn't even a superhero or green lantern isn't a superhero and so on because again, they need gadgets to fight or be super.

Ultimately though everyone has their own interpretation of what makes a superhero a super hero, this post/article thingy is just me explaining my personal standpoint and view on the subject, which won't necessarily line up with how other people think about what a superhero necessarily is, or what qualifies as a superhero.

And in this post I didn't go into any the morality bits or the finer minutiae of what makes a character qualify as a superhero, because that is a conversation for an entirely different post, this right here is just a post explaining my viewpoint about what I qualify as being super when applied to characters who can be considered heroes, if that makes sense.

Also a heads up, I don't plan for this to be my last post on this particular subject matter, I've been studying superheroes, both classical and modern for quite a while now and developing my own thoughts and theories about them, and what exactly qualifies as a superhero both modern and classical, so expect more posts like this discussing similar subject matter.

In particularly I plan on discussing subtypes of these three primary genuses of superheroes, including some subtypes that overlap between various superhero genuses, and once I'm done figuring that all out I might even post a full idea web type image with all the different superhero genuses and subtypes.

Anyways that's about it for now and I hope you found this post informative and please if you have your own input on this, let me know and maybe we can discuss.

1 comment:

  1. Classification is fascinating to me. I like how this system applies to all individuals, super or not, hero or not.
    I'm thinking you'd agree there are not hard boundaries? Daredevil, for instance, in universe has no special powers besides perception which he has trained to overcome his blindness. He is a skill based hero, but in our universe, he would be power based since that level of skill is truly unachievable.

    Edge cases are the most fascinating to me. Let's say a normal dude gets a black belt in karate. That makes him skill based(albeit very weak compared to comic characters), and whether he becomes a hero it up to him.

    ReplyDelete

To My Zone

 Hi, my name is holozler and this is my personal blog site thingy. Here I'll probably be posting a mixture of random thoughts, character...