Search This Blog

Thursday, June 29, 2023

The Incredible Shrinking Groony (Diamoverse comic)



So a while ago I did a bit of a project, a experiment and proof of concept for a potential series of books I might still do, but at this point is definitely a ways off and a shelved project.

This series being a series of mini books inspired by the marvel mini books.

For those who are unaware, during the 60s Marvel had a set of 6 mini books made, these mini books were made as small novelties for capsule Dispensers, you know, the ones that you would get those cheap rubber ninjas or other cheap toys from.

And while I grew up with those cheap toys back in the day you could get a whole ass book from them, granted nothing substantial, usually it being a joke book or the like, but these things were still 20 or so pages long and included illustrations, yet they were incredibly small, around the same size as a penny.

Now Marvel's Mini Books were a unique line of these books, telling stories staring marvel characters that were popular back then, ranging from Spiderman to Millie the Model and came in all sorts of different colors, a real nice and unique collectible for kids back then and obsessive nerds now (including yours truly).

Marvel even did a reprint boxset of these books in a larger easier to read size, which I have yet to get, I also have yet to get an example of the original mini books, but some day I plan to aquire both, I mean if I can get the marvel toilet paper comic I can get these

Anyways, so what does all this have to do with my project, well, a few months ago I was playing around with the idea of doing a similar mini comic thing with my characters and public domain tales, making mini comics/storybooks to sell in capsule machines.

So getting excited by this new idea, and the prospect of experimenting with a new format I decided to make my own proof of concept prototype for this mini comics/storybook collection of mine.

This line I'd end up calling the Lilli-Library, Lilli standing for Lilliputian, like The small people from Gulliver's Travels (One of my favorite classic stories), and for this proof of concept I made A new Groony story, the Incredible Shrinking Groony, the prototype pictured below beside a US quarter for scale


Ultimately I decided to shelf the Lilli-Library for now, but I do plan on revisiting it one day, although I don't want to vault this Groony story till I do revisit this particular idea, so here it is, in its entirety via a google drive link in pdf form, so if your interested in the story of the "Incredible Shrinking Groony" you can check it out. 

I'll also uploaded copies to other social media sites, linked below.




Also fun fact about how this little comic was made, I basically did the old "folded zine" technique twice, cut 3 extra pieces of paper to the same size and then cut out a bit from the cover of one of my hard stock comic drawing paper pads for the cover of this prototype to give it A nice semi hard cover feel and unique texture.

Anyways I hope you enjoy my offering and stay tuned to this here blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

To My Zone

 Hi, my name is holozler and this is my personal blog site thingy. Here I'll probably be posting a mixture of random thoughts, character...